Campus Recreation Student Leadership Council (S.L.C)
The Campus Recreation Student Leadership Council contributes to the growth and development at the University of South Florida Campus Recreation Department through leadership, representation, service, and advisement.
What is the S.L.C?
- The S.L.C is an advisory team made up of a 10 current student employees appointed from the program, facility, or service they represent (i.e., Sports Clubs, Intramural Sports, Fitness, Aquatics, Facilities, etc.) within the Campus Recreation Department. Each of the at large members must have prior participation and involvement in the programs and services offered at the Campus Recreation Center. These members will be appointed by a staff associate (i.e., Coordinator, Assistant Director or Director) through a nomination process to represent their division
- The purpose of this team is to provide an opportunity for student involvement with recreational related business in a leadership role, interaction with professional staff and to promote student employment leadership development
What can the leadership council accomplish?
- Create and develop a sense of community and interaction among team members
- Develop and implement scheduled opportunities for team building and training for employees to help bridge the gap between program areas
- Represent campus recreation within the larger University of South Florida community
What do you get out of being on S.L.C?
- Resume Building
- Customer service experience
- Leadership skills
- Organizational management
- Financial accountability
- Prepare a budget for the funds set aside to promote the advisory team
- You have the opportunity to have direct influence on the campus recreation student employment system and how it operates
- Student of the month program
- Student of the year (each department)
- Hosting a student employment banquet
- Career Development
- Depending on participation, members will have the opportunity to gain points and use towards furthering their education and experience by attending seminars and conferences
- Provide professional and individual development opportunities for student staff
What are the responsibilities of the members on the council?
- Advise in departmental direction and decisions, and serve as a liaison to professional staff
- Advise the recreation student staff as to changes in the interpretation of policies and procedures governing specific recreation programs
- Organize, promote and participate in special fundraising events to raise money for organizational endeavors
- Serve as a sounding board for all recreation programs and services
- Advise the recreation staff of needed additions/improvements to recreation facilities
- Promote and participate in student leadership development opportunities
- Work special events held by the campus recreation department
- Promote and organize special events to recognize student employee service and achievements
- Revise and update the advisory team manual for future members to follow
- Perform other duties assigned by the S.L.C staff advisor