Cooking is only allowed in designated areas only!
To Prevent a Cooking Fire in the Kitchen:
- Never leave cooking appliances unattended. Unattended cooking appliances is the #1 cause of cooking fires
- Wear short or close-fitting sleeves. Loose clothing can catch fire
- Clean cooking surfaces to prevent food and grease build-up
- Keep curtains, towels and pot holders away from hot surfaces.
- Store solvents and flammable cleaners away from heat sources
- Turn pan handles inward to prevent accidental spilling
- To extinguish a kitchen cooking fire, follow these procedures:
- Slide a pan lid over flames to smother a grease or oil fire, then turn off the heat source and leave the lid in place until the pan cools
- Make sure a dry chemical fire extinguisher is located near to the cooking area. Go to the fire extinguisher page for operation (P.A.S.S. Procedures)
- Never use water or flour on grease fires
- If you have a fire in the oven, leave the door closed and shut off the heat to smother the fire