Layoff & Reemployment - Administration and Staff
Layoff is the termination of employment due to abolishment of a position or cessation of a function. Certain Administration and Staff employees are entitled to a minimum notification period. Any employee may be laid off at any time with appropriate notification. Some Administration and Staff employees may not be eligible for rights associated with layoff. Provisions of collective bargaining agreements apply for employees in positions covered by such agreements. Human Resources must approve requests for layoff of Administration and Staff employees. Layoffs involving members of the Faculty are handled by the Office of the Provost.
Reasons for Layoff
- Adverse financial circumstances
- Reallocation of resources
- Reorganization of academic or administrative structures, programs, or functions
- Curtailment or abolishment of one or more programs or functions
- Shortage of work
- A material change of duties
Layoff Rights Eligibility
This procedure applies to all Administration and Staff employees, EXCEPT:
- Appointed for less than one year.
- Appointed to positions funded solely from contract, grant, auxiliary, or local funds.
- Whose appointments expire after receiving timely written notice of non-reappointment.
- Whose appointments expire without the requirement of a written notice of non-reappointment, including employees serving on appointments with a documented fixed term or on multi-year contracts.
- Without regular status in any class.
- Appointed to positions funded from contract, grant, auxiliary, or local funds that have been designated as time-limited.
Refer to FIND IT for USF Regulations or USF System Policies on this topic.
Have a Question? Contact your Service Center.
All documents are provided in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF).
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files