Pay Change Overview
There are a variety of processes for changing rates of pay at the university. Please review the summary below to help you locate the appropriate information for a particular type of change.
Centrally Administered Pay Increase Programs
Centrally Administered Pay Increase Programs are applied university wide based on a set of published guidelines. They usually apply to most positioned employees based on specific eligiblity criteria and funding is typically mandatory for all sources.
- Legislative Increases
- USF Administered Increases
- Collective Bargained Increases
Pay Changes for Admin & Staff Employees
Individual increases can be initiated under appropriate circumstances outside of a university wide process. Most Staff are covered by collective bargaining. Certain Law Enforcement staff are also covered by collective bargaining. Please contact your service center representative for more infomation on out of cycle increases for these two groups.
- Pay for Performance – Increase to Base Pay
- Promotional Salaries
- Special Pay Increases
- Pay for Special Assignments - On Call, Leadworker, Hazardous Duty
Pay Changes for Faculty Employees
Faculty Pay Changes are collectively bargained. Changes to faculty pay can only be made under certain circumstances as outlined in the Provost Office policy guidelines.
- Special Pay Increases
- Extra Compensation
- Promotion - as a result of change in rank or to fill a new position
- Adjunct Faculty may also have a pay rate change due to an increase or decrease in FTE, therefore a new Letter of Offer must be submitted with the "new" correct information stated in the letter.
Pay Changes for Temporary Employees (Non-Student & Regular Student)
- Increase in Pay - merit, cost of living, annual, additional higher level duties, increase in FTE (change FTE and salary on ASF), etc.
- Decrease in Pay - decrease in FTE (change FTE and salary on ASF)
- Correction in Pay - pay was wrong on previously-submitted appointment paper (indicate "Supercede" in Remarks section of ASF)
Pay Changes for Graduate Assistants
Graduate Assitants are covered by collective bargaining. Please contact the Graduate School for information related to the adminstration of the contract. GRADUATE STUDENTS MUST SIGN THE ASF and recieve a new offer letter, ACKNOWLEDGING A CHANGE TO AN APPOINTMENT.
Pay Changes for Federal Work Study (FWS)
Federal Work Study (FWS) students receiving multiple pay changes and increases over $0.25 per hour will be reviewed and may be subject to further approval. The increase must be covered by the available student award.
Bonuses Payments and Programs
One-Time Pay for Performance may be awarded in a variety of situations noted below. Also, each VP Area of the university has the flexibility to define and adminster special bonus programs with in their units, as funding allows. Individual bonus payments are processed separately through payroll and do not affect base pay. See Bonus Procedures for more information.
- Legislatively-mandated bonuses
- USF Administered bonuses
- General or merit bonuses mandated by collective bargaining agreements
- Pay for individual performance
Have a Question? Contact your Service Center.
All documents are provided in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF).
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files