In compliance with Chapter 295, Florida Statute, the University of South Florida is committed to providing preference to U.S. veterans and spouses of veterans in hiring, promotion, and retention for all qualified positions (all Staff / Non-Exempt level positions), as prescribed by the chapter. Each position that qualifies for Veterans' Preference will be clearly identified in the posting.
Veterans' Preference is extended to those who fall under the following categories:
- A veteran with a service-connected disability who is eligible for or receiving compensation, disability retirement, or pension under public laws administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Defense.
- The spouse of a veteran who cannot qualify for employment because of a total and permanent service-connected disability, or the spouse of a veteran missing in action, captured, or forcibly detained by a foreign power.
- A veteran of any war who has served on active duty for one day or more during a wartime period, excluding active duty for training, and who was discharged under honorable conditions from the Armed Forces of the United States of America. The wartime periods are defined as follows:
- World War II: December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946
- Korean Conflict: June 27, 1950 to January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era: February 28, 1961 to May 7, 1975
- Persian Gulf War: August 2, 1990 to January 2, 1992
- Operation Enduring Freedom - October 7, 2001 to date to be determined
- Operation Iraqi Freedom - March 19, 2003 to date to be determined
- A veteran who served honorably but who has not met the criteria for the award of a campaign or expeditionary medal for service in Operation Enduring Freedom or Operation Iraqi Freedom, qualifies for preference in appointment effective July 1, 2007.
- The unmarried widow or widower of a veteran who died of a service-connected disability.
The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal also qualify for Veterans' Preference.
To claim Veterans' Preference, the applicant must:
- Be a Florida resident
- Indicate your claim for Veterans' Preference on the employment application
- Upload DD214 to postings that are covered under FS 295, as described above. The DD214 is required for each position you applied to. Click here for instructions on uploading documents.
- For more information on obtaining a DD214, please visit eVetRecs or call (866)272-6272
For additional assistance on claiming Veterans' Preference, please contact USF Human Resources at (813) 974-2970 or USFCareersHelp@admin.usf.edu.
Additional information concerning Veterans' Preference is available at the Florida Department of Veteran's Affairs webpage.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR RECRUITING DEPARTMENTS
Have a Question? Contact your Service Center.
All documents are provided in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF).
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files