In compliance with Chapter 295, Florida Statute, the University of South Florida is committed to providing preference to U.S. veterans and spouses of veterans in hiring, promotion, and retention for all qualified positions (all Staff / Non-Exempt level positions), as prescribed by the chapter. Each position that qualifies for Veterans' Preference will be identified in the posting detail.
Veterans' Preference is extended to those who fall under the specified categories:
Veterans' Preference was expanded this past legislative session with the passing of House Bill 7015. The changes, effective July 1, 2014, include the following:
- You no longer have to be a Florida resident to claim veteran's preference.
- You no longer have to serve during a wartime period to claim veteran's preference.
- The following categories for preference were added:
- The mother, father, legal guardian, or unremarried widow or widower of a member of the United States Armed Forces who died in the line of duty under combat-related conditions, as verified by the United States Department of Defense;
- A veteran as defined in s.1.01(14). Active duty for training may not be allowed for eligibility under this paragraph; and
- A current member of any reserve component of the United States Armed Forces of the Florida National Guard.
To claim Veterans' Preference, the applicant must:
- Indicate your claim for Veterans' Preference on the employment application
- Upload DD214 to each posting covered under F.S. 295, as described above. Click here for instructions on uploading documents.
- For more information on obtaining a DD214, please visit eVetRecs or call (866)272-6272
- Note: Certain categories of preference may require additional documentation to be submitted by the claimant. Human Resources will contact the applicant should additional documentation beyond the DD214 be required.
For additional assistance on claiming Veterans' Preference, please contact USF Human Resources at (813) 974-2970 or USFCareersHelp@admin.usf.edu.
Additional information concerning Veterans' Preference is available at the Florida Department of Veteran's Affairs webpage.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES FOR RECRUITING DEPARTMENTS
Have a Question? Contact your Service Center.
All documents are provided in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF).
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files