To: USF in Lakeland Faculty and Staff
From: Lara Wade and Tom Hagerty, Transition Team Communications
Date: June 13, 2012
Re: Transition Plan
Here are highlights of Mondayâ€™s Transition Team meeting:
- At the June 8 Board of Governors meeting, the Select Committee on Florida Polytechnic University reported on issues related to the teach-out and transition plan. The full Board of Governors then adopted several motions related to the transition that will remain in effect for up to 90 days after the new university has a board of trustees in place. The motions adopted by the full BOG provide that:
- Any fees paid by students at the USF Polytechnic campus shall remain with USF and shall be expended for the benefit of students involved in the teach-out. (This motion has no expiration date.);
- USF shall continue to make any lease payments for facilities leased by USF Polytechnic from the campusâ€™ fund balances until such time as FPUâ€™s Board of Trustees can reasonably assume those duties, except that the lease for Blue Sky West shall expire at the end of its current agreement on July 30, 2012;
- USF shall continue to provide administrative support services to FIPR until FPU can reasonably assume those duties; and
- USF shall continue to provide oversight of the construction of the new campus under the existing contracts until FPU can reasonably assume those duties and shall refer any potential changes in those contracts during the transition period to the Chancellor for approval.
- The Board of Governors has concluded the application process for persons wishing to serve on the charter Board of Trustees for Florida Polytechnic University. The BOG has stated an intention to vote on its five appointees to the FPU board at its June 21 meeting in Orlando.
- The Transition Team is working on a budget for the teach-out, a full accounting of all USF Polytechnic carry-forward balances, a budget for construction at the new campus, and a transfer-of-assets document.
- Once a governing body is in place for Florida Polytechnic University, USF will work with it to make sure all issues are addressed.
We will continue to do our best to keep you informed as the process unfolds. If you have questions or would like to submit topics for discussion, please send them to Tom Hagerty (firstname.lastname@example.org).